Dear Devotee, Community Blog that share, pray for each other over web, will help you keep in touch with lord Infant Jesus. Join us Google Friend Connect, Follow us at twitter, become a fan on Facebook.

Kadukutty

Infant Jesus Church,
Kadukutty,
Mukundapuram Taluk
Thrissur district, Kerala

About eighty per cent of the resident of Kadukutty are Catholics. There are more than 450 Catholic families residing within the boundaries of Kadukutty.  In 1858, gave permission by Archbishop Dr. Bernardinos, to start a catechism center had been established at Kadukutty. As Kadukutty was surrounded on 3 sides by the river and as the one side was separated by a big stream, it was impossible during the rainy season either to reach Kadukutty or to get out of it. So it was impossible for the people to got to church in the rainy season. 

In 1874, there was a serious discussion about the possibility of establishing a chapel here. It initiated by Rev Fr Geevarghese Kavalakkatt Vattoly. and it was decided to build a chapel and to take necessary steps for it. Then the people decided to celebrate holy mass in the school shed and on that day to call their church as Infant Jesus Church and to lay the foundation for a new church. On 26th Danu (Malayalam Month) 1876 the permission came allowing holy mass to be said in the school hall on the first day, the next day and on all Sundays. On 6th January 1877, the Dhenaha Day, the chapel was blessed and consecrated and the first mass was celebrated by Rev Fr Ittoop Kavalakkatt Vattoly and the second mass by Rev Fr Ittoop Kavalakkatt. 

In 1898 Bishop Mar Louis Pazheparampil elevated the chapel into the status as an independent parish. In the meantime the old church was in a very bad condition and so the vicar Rev Fr. Thariakko Mundadan had started the renovation of the building wit the help of Koratty church (neighboring church) and that of the Parish people. On 9th February 1899 the foundation stone for the new church building was laid. The was work in progress under the next vicar Rev Fr. Ittoop Kavalakkatt. The new church was blessed and consecrated on 4th February 1900 and holy mass was celebrated here. The works on the new church were completed fully only by 1910.

The attempt to rebuild the church was started by Rev. Fr. Joseph Vadakkumcherry in June 1969. The work on the new church was begun on 31st October under the leadership of the Auxiliary bishop Mar Sebastian Mankuzhikkary. In 1975 the work was completed. The beautiful new church was blessed and consecrated by Cardinal Mar Joseph Parekkattil.


0 comments:

Post a Comment


Copyright 2002 - 2016 | Google + | About Us | Contact Us